Friday, April 16, 2010

New Direction and COOKIES!

So here's the thing. I've been a lazy blogger and just not posting photos on my PHOTO BLOG like I should. Photography is a passion of mine, but at this point in my life, it's a part-time passion. To be honest, I do so much MORE than just take pictures. Duh, right? I wanted to start sharing with all of you some other dimensions of my life. Shake up the blog a bit. Still post photos from sessions, but also show you some other things about me. So here it goes...

One thing you may or may not know about me is my obsession with all things healthy. I love trying new recipes to healthify my family. And be careful asking me about it because I could go on and on and on about FOOD and its affect on our bodies.

My latest find is a hybrid recipe -- one I adapted with my own ideas from The Feel Good Cookbook by Jonnell West Francis.

Fruit Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies
(please excuse the point and shoot photo, taken in bad lighting and without any thought to creativity. GASP!!!) 

1 cup white grape juice concentrate (make sure it's 100% juice)
2 egg flax seed substitute**
1/2 cup all-natural unsweetened applesauce
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup peanut butter
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients. Form into balls and then press flat with a fork and bake 15 minutes at 250 degrees. Optional: I sprinkled raw sugar on top of half of the batch of cookies before sticking them into the oven to keep my husband from whining that these were not sweet enough.


Egg Substitute
**Mix 3 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon ground flax seed until thick and creamy = one egg. This recipe calls for two eggs, so 6 tablespoons water mixed with 2 tablespoons ground flax seed.

Are you kidding me? No sugar, no butter, no oil, no eggs and I'm calling this a cookie!! Yes, you will have to let go of your preconceived notions of what a peanut butter cookie is -- crunchy, super sweet. These are subtly sweet and soft, but definitely tasty. It will satisfy your sweet tooth and you won't have to feel guilty about it.

No comments: